DRIVER TRAINING OVERVIEW
Driving an armoured vehicle requires a recalibration on the part of the driver. With a specific focus on the broader security industry (and the valuables-in-transit, law enforcement and mining sectors in particular), SVI thus developed a comprehensive driver-training programme.
The course shapes participants into highly skilled armoured-vehicle drivers, helping them understand the capabilities of an armoured vehicle and execute advanced driving techniques during hostile situations. It comprises five days to cover five modules, with the option to focus on individual modules.
MODULE 1: Theoretical Armoured-Vehicle Dynamics
The first module is completely theoretical and educates participants on armoured-vehicle dynamics. Serving as an introduction to the broader syllabus, Module 1 covers a wide range of topics, leading with a detailed explanation of the dynamic differences between armoured and standard vehicles.
Other theoretical aspects covered in this part of the course include:
- Identifying armouring levels
- Understanding the protection level
- Caring for your armoured vehicle
Module 2: Practical Advanced Driver Training
The second module of SVI’s driver-training course advances participants to practical training and is fully accredited by SASSETA. All training here takes place under controlled conditions on a racetrack or equivalent.
Key elements covered in Module 2 include:
- Armoured vehicle dynamics (reducing driving risk)
- Accident-avoidance techniques for armoured vehicles
- Improving driving skills
- Defensive driving techniques when negotiating hazards
- Offensive driving skills in dynamic situations
- Advanced braking techniques in various conditions
- High-speed evasive manoeuvres
Module 3: 4×4 Training with an Armoured Vehicle
Many of the vehicles we armour here at SVI are off-road capable, including many of those used in the security and mining industries. The third module thus covers all the aspects of 4×4 driving.
- Understanding the various 4×4 chassis, suspension and drivetrain configurations
- Identifying the range of features and capabilities of a 4×4 vehicle
- 4×4 vehicle preparation
- Practical 4×4 training on an off-road course
Module 4: Tactical Deployment
Whether you’re working as a driver in the valuables-in-transit sector or chauffeuring high-profile individuals, tactical deployment is a key consideration.
Module 4 covers this topic in depth, concentrating on the following:
- Information evaluation to identify possible threats
- How to formulate a route plan in accordance with the transit-risk profile
- Formulation of contingency plans to counter specific and non-specific threats
- Identify concealed hazards or threats
- Neutralise threats by using tactical vehicle movements
- Tactical convoy techniques
Module 5: Legal Aspects
Considering the nature of work in the security industry, knowledge of various South African laws is critical for those in the field. The fifth and final module looks at this topic, with a particular focus on the following aspects:
- How to legally protect oneself and others
- Understand the legal obligation in using force
- Statutory legal requirements and liability of amoured-vehicle drivers
- Road Traffic Act
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS
Would you like to know more about our driving-training course? Fill in your details below and we’ll get back to you to answer your questions.